Menu Close

709 Project A: International Student Buddy

For Project A, we will pair students in teams of 2. Your task is to develop an interactive application (App/Website) that tracks and organizes an international student’s VISA journey. The purpose of this app is to keep the student informed of the rules and regulations, but most importantly presents an “individualized” timeline, that advises the student about dates, deadlines, and options.

Keep in mind, this is an app that is customized to each student, so you must provide on-boarding that allows for names, id information, and date entries.

Many international students find it confusing keeping track of dates as related to graduation, OPT options and expiration. This app should assist students and institutions (i.e. SCAD) in presenting a more clear and positive experience.

The focus of this project is on the Journey and the User Interface. You are not required to work out all of the deep-dive details OR address visual branding.


Do the research necessary to understand your challenge. First sketch and then visualize (i.e. Illustrator/Photoshop/etc.) the F1/OPT (and others) Journey with official timelines and milestones. Size: 11″ x 17″ @300ppi (Portrait or Landscape)

Create a final PPT presentation that includes the following (Must include a FIGMA functioning prototype):

CHECKPOINT 1: (w Prof)
– Brainstorming
– Sketching
– Information architecture
– Flow maps

CHECKPOINT 2: (Present to Class)
– Visualization Final (See STEP 1)
– Wireframes
– Low/Med Figma prototype
– User testing

CHECKPOINT 3: (w Prof)
– Comps/mock-ups
– Hi-fi Figma prototype

CHECKPOINT 4: (Present to Class)
– Final PPT presentation

Past Student Examples


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an off-campus employment option for F-1 students when the practical training is an integral part of the established curriculum or academic program. CPT employment is defined as “alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.” To qualify, the work experience must be required for your degree, or academic credit must awarded. You can get paid for CPT employment. Prior authorization by your school’s International Student Office and notification to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) is required.

EAD card, known popularly as a work permit, is a document issued by USCIS that provides temporary employment authorization to non-citizens in the United States.

An F1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for those wishing to study in the U.S. You must file an F1 visa application if you plan on entering the US to attend a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, language training program, or other academic institution.

The H-1B is a visa in the United that allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. A specialty occupation requires the application of specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent of work experience. The duration of stay is three years, extendable to six years; after which the visa holder may need to reapply. Laws limit the number of H-1B visas that are issued each year.

Optional Practical Training
 (OPT) is a period during which undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed or have been pursuing their degrees for one academic year are permitted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work for one year on a student visa towards getting practical training to complement their education.


United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.